Tuesday 8 May 2007

Gossip...

To be totally honest, this has to be the thing which annoys me beyond all measure. People who talk about other people, especially, but not always, behind their backs have to be replacing stupid people as the people I hate the most, I despise them in fact. I was going to try and inject some humour into this but it makes me too angry so I'm not going to bother.

It's like when people ask you about things, not because of a genuine interest in your welfare or state of mind but because they think you'll give them some sort of juicy little piece of common interest rubbish, which you can then tell others in hushed tones. It's often quite astonishing when you tell someone a secret as to how quickly it can become common knowledge, isn't it? "Don't tell anyone, but such and such happened to such and such the other day, don't say I told you", how annoying that sort of faux-honesty is. "Keep this between us, okay?" is supposed to mean DON'T TELL ANYONE! But most people these days just assume it means if you're going to tell someone, make sure it can't be traced back to you.

I really don't like people who ask specifically for Gossip when they would endear themselves to me a whole lot more by asking questions such as how are you instead. "Any goss?" isn't quite so personal is it?

Anyway, I have decided that I will be telling nothing to anyone for the foreseeable future, because as far as I can tell, I am the only person in the whole world who knows what it means to be told something in confidence and to keep it that way.

P.S. if you are a gossip, don't talk to me. I hate you.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

Man, you are angry, aren't you??!! With just about everything in the whole world it seems too...

I hope that someday soon you tell someone something and they surprise you by not telling anyone and then your faith in humanity can be restored once again. That would make a beautiful story. You know there are other people out there who can keep stuff to themselves - maybe you just hang out in the wrong circles.